Muses

I'm a cat person. Now before you dog folks get all cranky, let me say that I actually love all animals, spiders and other creepy crawlies included. But cats definitely rule. Sleek and sophisticated. Cool and aloof. Cats know how to live without worrying about what others think of them.

I own two cats of my own, but since the summer, a third has been spotted enjoying my backyard. She stalks birds, rolls in the catmint, meows until you get down on your knees and pet her. She's the friendliest cat I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. I'm beginning to suspect she's something more as well.

Where I live has been covered in snow for the last month, and I haven't seen this cat in some time. Last night, however, I dreamed of her. It was a vivid dream--one where I could feel her sandpapery tongue on my hands, hear her meows, smell her outdoorsy scent. When I woke up this morning, there she was, nosing around the ground outside below one of our birdfeeders. I opened the door and let her in. Everything she did was exactly as it was in the dream. It was very deja vu-esque.

I thought of her all day, and random writing ideas popped into my head as the day rolled on. I felt on top of my game, inspired. I think this cat might be one of my muses--one of those things in life that spark creativity. Full moons, sunshine reflecting off the ocean's surface, and the smell of lavender are some of my other muses. What are yours?